Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Children Are Still My Techo Teachers

Many years ago I read a book called the ‘Learning Revolution by Gordon Dryden’. It mentioned that children would be teaching their parents how to use technology. I read that with interest and over the years discovered that is true!

I purchased my first mobile phone when my daughters brought theirs from the money they earned in their ‘after school’ jobs. They wanted to keep in contact with their friends and I wanted to keep in contact with them.

As I was learning to send my first text messages, my daughters would often ring me after I had sent my text and ask me what I was trying to say. Then I would get a lesson! Now ten years later with my new IPhone I was sending my usual xoxo
(kiss, hug, kiss, hug) which they’d taught me at the end of my text message and somehow I sent the words ‘zoophone’. I laughed at myself as I resent a second text about the qualities of my text messaging and Iphone’s qualities, to my daughter.
Her reply,’ yes automatic text can be a nuisance, you can turn it off’. Well a few weeks later, I haven’t learnt how to do that, maybe I’ll wait until she visits from Australia and can do it for me.

However, I do miss the welcome message from my old phone ‘your daughters love you’. I also miss the ring tones she had loaded onto it, Hotel California from the Eagles when it rang and a Red Red Wine when I received a text. Maybe she can load those onto this as well!

With Facebook, one of our social network crazes, I had been using it to keep in contact and read the news about my daughters’ activities while living in Australia.

However, I was convinced by my online mentor I also needed to use it for business as well. Yes, I said, I can use facebook and she assured me ‘don’t worry about your daughters friends messages, you can block them out’. Sure I thought I can learn to do that! So, online I go and read my daughter had the flu and off work. I sent her a Get Well message, and a few medical tips as mothers do, only to find a few minutes later a reply from my other daughter saying “Mum, you need to put it on HER wall, not send it to yourself.”

I chuckled as I realised….ten years into this game, I still had lots to learn and as the book the Learning Curve said, our children are teaching us technology and I’ve still a long way to go.

So, if you’d like to connect with me on Facebook, send me a message and I’d love to meet up with you. My attitude is positive and I’m sure I’ll learn to do it right…one day! Meanwhile, I’m still enjoying them teaching me.


No comments:

Post a Comment