Saying NO to a Bully at Work
Bullying is rife in the workforce and in relationships where one person attempts to dominate another person and creates a win/lose situation. That's where one person feels ok and the other person doesn't. Relationships are about mutual respect, trust and communication and creating win/win situations. Here are a few tips.
- If you feel you Not OK, after a conversation you could be getting bullied
- Analyse what's happened: eg. what is a misunderstanding, something not done or finished or something else.
- If it is in your job description you probably need to do it.
- Be willing to negotiate and compromise if appropriate to create a win/win solution.
- Use assertive and professional communication to try to solve the problem
- If it still doesn't get solved, decide on your next step. eg. Do you need to discuss it with a supportive and understanding person.
- Honour your feelings (gut reaction or intuition) and if it does not feel right, or align to your values, don't do it.
- Get more help if you need it
- Stand in your own power and be proud to honour yourself.